Friday, August 1, 2008

Going Out!

Last night at 6pm I was busy stirring dinner on the stove. Sadie was throwing a whiny little tantrum and screaming that she needed my help. Brady was sitting in his exersaucer letting me know that he wanted me to hold him and give him attention. Sean walked in and said that he was going out to mow the lawn.
I am pretty sure I gave him a (really) dirty look and then I turned around and continued to stir while I was talking myself down from yet another cliff of insanity.
Sean seemed to sense that I might need his assistance at that time... (because two screaming children wasn't enough evidence), and he picked up Brady and asked if I needed anything.
After two weeks of the three kids taking turns throwing up, fevers of 103, tantrums, misery, etc... I did need something! I needed to LEAVE!!
I told him that I just needed to get out. It wasn't that I didn't love them all, but I needed to go and be. Just be.
I finished making dinner and picked up my wallet. "Oh, you are leaving NOW?" Sean says.
"Yes, NOW!!"
I drove for about 20 minutes and basically did a full circle before I ended up at the movie theater that is about 3 blocks from our house. I walked in and noticed that there was a movie that I wanted to see that started in 2 minutes. I handed over the cash, bought myself a big box of chocolate, and thoroughly enjoyed the next two hours!
I saw Mama Mia- by myself. I wasn't prepared to absolutely BAWL like a baby through the song that Meryl Streep sings about her daughter going to school for the first time. (Click here) Bethanie starts kindergarten in two weeks.
I came home wanting to hug my children.
Ahhhh.... This morning has been a good one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for Mamma Mia!! That song is a killer. The winner takes it all also got to me.

Jill said...

Honey, I hear you. Sometimes a mom just needs a break. I'm glad things look brighter this morning and now you have me wanting to go see that movie...

Jenn said...

Yeah, "Slipping Through My Fingers" is a killer. And now I have Jonathan as a big 2nd grader AND Matthew heading off to preschool (I'll have to blog about that one!), and before I know it, Graceanne will be heading out the door too! The days are LONG, but the years are short, isn't that what they say?

Danielle said...

It's good to be a mom, but it's also good to have a break. Good thing your man didn't head out to mow the lawn...who knows what would have happened then. :D