Friday, September 7, 2007

Recent Sayings to Get You Caught Up

Me: Sadie, remember you have to be good today.

Sadie: I AM! How many times must I tell you that I am?

Me: (trying not to laugh) Ok

Sadie: I have told you that I am an angel and can do things by myself!

Me: Angels have to be good too. I love you Sadie.

Sadie: (Bottom lip out) I just don't care!


-----------------------

This next LOOONG story was an email that I sent out to friends and family.

As some of you know, Sadie started speaking in sentences as soon as she started speaking. She always has something deep and insightful for us. Every few days I will have a new Sadie quote to tell my mom about when she asks.
Since she started talking I don't think she has said so many quotable things in one day as she did today. I have to share. A few of the quotes have background stories, so I will have to start before today. :)

About a month ago Sadie told me that she was from China. She is a China girl and she speaks China. She has not given that up.
Because my girls have birthdays at the end of Sept and Oct it has become a tradition for my mom to get the girls their Halloween costumes for their birthdays. They usually choose something that they can play dress up in all year long.
Sadie has insisted that she wants to be Elmo this year. That is fine, I am sure she will look adorable, but I also know that she has an issue with itchy clothing. She won't wear ANYTHING that looks like it might itch. (Half of the time she won't wear it even if it doesn't!)
I have been trying to talk Sadie in to getting a costume that she will be more comfortable in and that she can play in the rest of the year. I saw a cute little Asian dress. I tried to talk Sadie in to wearing that for Halloween. That was when Sadie said,
"Mom, I am a China girl every day. For Halloween I want to be something different. I want to be Elmo"
(Please note that I am not inserting words here!)

Later today when Sean asked her when she became a China girl she told him,
"A while ago Jesus Christ turned me in to a China girl, so I am a China girl."
So there you go, in case any of you wondered.

Sadie has an issue with change. She doesn't like it. She also has an addiction. She still has her pacifier! She won't give it up. We have tried, and frankly it was not an experience I wish to discuss.
I decided that we would wait until after our move and she gets through that before we get rid of the pacifier for good. I informed her that on her 3rd birthday the pacifier will know she is too old and it will just spontaneously break. (ok, I lied)
We have not yet reached her third birthday and conveniently the pacifier is falling apart on it's own. There is about half of it left. She still sucks on it. She also reminds us all of the time that when she turns three it will break all of the way.
Tonight at dinner she told us that she didn't like that her pacifier was breaking. All of the sudden she threw herself from her chair on to her knees and started praying. She prayed to Heavenly Father that the pacifier would be fixed and would not break.
We spent the next 10 minutes explaining that not all prayers are answered with a yes. We even were asked for examples.
About that time Sadie got bored with her ravioli and started poking and throwing around her bread. I told her that I was going to take the bread away and that she couldn't have it until she finished her ravioli if this continued.
Well, it did. So I did.
Once again she threw herself to her knees and prayed.
"Please Heavenly Father tell Jesus to make my mom give me back my bread now. I want it!"

(At this point Sean and I are trying not to fall out of our chairs we are laughing so hard.)

The day ended with another Sadie quote. Bethanie is starting preschool tomorrow and she informed us that she is a little bit nervous. Sadie told her sister, "If you want to make friends, you have to try!"
That is a good one to live by. I need to remember that one.

Sadie is definitely a handful, but she is a joy as well. Thanks for reading that whole long email. It was my therapy for the day.

No comments: